Home >> Luang Prabang >> Activities >>Cultural Visit
CULTURAL VISIT IN LUANG PRABANG
The National Museum
The National Museum, constructed in 1904. Various royal religions objects are displayed in the large entrance hall. Many gifts from foreign envoys (including a rock brought back from the moon!) and religious and cultural artifacts are on display here including the 14th century gold Phabang (Buddha image) from which Luang Prabang derives its name.
Open daily except Tuesday, Time: 08:00AM-11:30AM, 01:30PM-04:00PM, Entrance Fee: 30,000 Kip (US$4), Children under 10 free of charge.
   
Wat Xieng Thong
Built during the 16th Century by King Saysetthathirath, Wat Xieng Thong temple is one of the most interesting examples of Buddhist art and architecture in Luang Prabang and arguably one of the most beautiful temples in Asia. The ornate carved and gilded funeral vehicle of the former king is kept in one of the buildings in the temple grounds. This temple was used for the the most important Royal ceremonies and houses the bones of King Sisavangvong.

Open daily, Time: 08:00AM-05:30PM, Entrance Fee: 20,000kip (US$3)
   
Phousi Mountain
Incredible Mountain it’s located in centre of town visitors will need to climb 328 zigzag stairs up to the top of the Mountain from there you will see a perfect 360 panoramic view of the whole city. Mount Phousi is Luang Prabang Holy Mountain, and at its very top sites the 20 m high Wat Chomsi stupa.
   
Wat Chomphet
Located across the Mekong river to the north of Ban Xieng Mene, Vat Chomphet is built on the top of a hill, and offers stunning views of Luang Prabang town and the river. The temple was built in 1888, and although currently undergoing renovation, the dragon and bird designs on the ceiling still retain their mystical power.
   
Wat That Luang
Located behind the old stadium on the way to Kuang Si waterfall. Wat That Luang was built on a knoll in 1818 by king Manthatourath. Before 1975, Wat That Luang was used to hold funeral rites and cremate the country‘s highest dignitaries.
   
Wat Visounnarath
The most ancient temple of Luang Prabang. It was originally erected in 1515 and was rebuilt in 1898. For some time it housed the Phabang Buddhas until the onset of invasions which included the pirate “black flag” invasion. 
Its windows, with the wooden railings, are inspired from the Wat Phou temple. Inside you can admire ancient statues and steles. Within the walls you will see that Pathoume or That Mak Mo (know as watermelon stupa because of its similarities to the fruit) which is a stone stupa built by king Visionarath’s wife. Next door, separately by a very city’s most important genies.
   
Wat Mai Souvannaphummaham
Built in 1796, Vat mai (New Monastery) was given its present name following the restoration undertaken in 1821 by King Manthathourat. Notice the 4- tiered roof when visiting the temple, as well as the scenes from daily life and the leend of vessantara on the bas-relief walls.
   
Wat Sene
The temple’s name is said to com e from a donation of 100,000 Kip which was used to construct the temple in 1781. The bird of the Buddha, Vat sene also houses two longboats which are used in the annual Boat Racing Festival.
   
  Wat Xieng man
Wat Xiengman is the oldest and best-known temple in the Comphet district. It was built in the 16th century before the reign King Xaysetthatirath, where as the Putthasimma was built in the 18th century by the King Anourout MuthatouRath ang the king Chantha Rath. The decorative temple door was the work of corroboration between Luang Prabang and Myanmar artisans.
   
  Wat Luang Khoun
Wat luang khoun was built in the 18th century. At first, it was always regarded as a place for meditation rather than a place for worship,  but during King Anoulou Manthaturath era in the 19th century, it was established as the temple for meditation and continued to be one for monks. All the King in the past such as King Sisavangvong and King Sisangvattana became a monk in this temple before there  were crowned.
French Colonial Architecture
New secular building styles were introduced to Luang Prabang between 1893 and 1907 as the French gradually assumed administrative control of Laos. In constructing administrative buildings and houses the French introduced European construction techniques and materials. For instance, the restriction on the use of bricks, which were previously used only for temples. Was lifted. The French, however, did not merely transplant European styles into Luang Prabang. Instead, they employed styles developed in Vietnam and produced designs inspired by vernacular temple architecture and secular wooden structures that were better suited to the warm and humid Laotian climate.

As a result, a new Laotian architectural style emerged, based on indigenous domestic architecture but freely incorporating French and Vietnamese design elements along with European and Chinese technical innovations. The Laotian royalty and aristocracy, who had previously lived in wooden houses, had their new masonry residences constructed in this style. The former Royal Palace, which today houses the Luang Prabang National Museum, was built between 1904 and 1909 and serves as a fine example of the French-inspired architecture that was popular at that time.

The French introduced some elements of Chinese architecture and urbanism indirectly. To execute French public works, skilled Vietnamese laborers were imported. These laborers settled near the foot of the peninsula and built their own commercial quarters which were brick, with living accommodation on the upper floors. All of these architectural styles can still be seen today in Luang Prabang.
 
| ATTAPEU | BOKEO | BOLIKHAMXAY | CHAMPASACK | HOUAPHANH | KHAMMOUANE | LUANG NAMTHA | LUANG PRABANG | OUDOMXAY | PHONGSALY |
|
SALAVANH | SAVANNAKHET | SAYABOULY | SEKONG | VIENTIANE | VIENTIANE CAPITAL | XIENG KHOUANG
|