Home >> Savannakhet >> Activities >>Cultural Visit
CULTURAL VISIT IN SAVANNAKHET
 
That  Ing Hang (Ing Hang Stupa)
This is a sacred stupa and reportedly the burial site for one of Buddha’s bones. It is an important place for Buddhists and is registered as a National Treasure of Lao PDR. It was built about 450 years ago by the King Marukhanakhone to commemorate the Buddha's visit to the site in the past. Buddha is believed to have.....
                                                                                                                                                                  <<Read more.....>>
   
Wat Xayaphoum (Xayaphoum Temple)
The old city pagoda was built at the same time as  Tha Hae village in  1542 BC and has been substantially improved since the beginning of the 20th century. Located in the center of the city along the bank of the Mekong River in Ban Xayaphoum, it is a beautiful building built in the original Savannakhet style. The temple area includes the monks’ living quarters and the monastery. Pi Mai Lao (The Lao  New Year Celebration) and Boun Suang Huea (Boat Racing Festival) following Buddhist Lent are held here. It open daily from 08:00AM-06:00PM.
Located in Kaysone Phomvihanh Town
   
Wat Lattanalangsy (Lattanalangsy Temple)
Wat  Lattanalangsy was built on a former rice field, hence villagers also refer it as Wat Thong (Rice Field Temple).
It open daily from 08:00AM-06:00PM.
Located in Kaysone Phomvihanh Town
   
The old temple at Ban That
This temple forms the basis of a valuable archaeological site. The pit, well and temple are made of ancient bricks, each measuring 23cm x 11cm x 6cm. This old temple is situated at That village, Kok Thong and Na Tue village. Stone artifacts such as jars and axes, earthen pipes and bowls, copper knives, pots have been excavated from here and are now national treasures. From Vilabouly town, head east on Route 28A for about 4km, before turn left and go another 2km.
The temple is open from around 08:00AM-04:00PM.
Located Along Route No.9
   
Wat Taleo Kao (Old Taleo Temple)
This temple is named Taleo Kao, meaning ‘eagle eye’, as local people have seen a mystery circle resembling an eagle eye appearing near by. This temple is very different from normal Lao temples in terms of French colonial style architecture. The sculpture at the front of the chapel was heavily destroyed by US bombing on the 20th November 1969.
Located in Champhone District
   
That Oumoung (Oumoung Stupa)
This is a beautiful square-shaped stupa, located in Ban Lahakok and was built between 1940 and 1950. While in general it resembles That Ing Hang, the top of the stupa is unique with its banana flower ornamentation. The stupa is a worthwhile stop for some interesting photographs. There is a festival held annually in February (exact date varies according to the lunar calendar). From Savannakhet City, take Route 13 south for about 70km, turn left at Ban Pakxong, and after 5km turn left at the T-shaped intersection. The stupa is on the left after another 2km.
Open daily from 08:00AM-04:00PM.
Located Along Route No.13
   
That Phonh (Phonh Stupa)
This stupa is said to date back to the 16th century and has sacred links with That Phanom in Thailand. An annual festival is held during the full moon days in February. From Savannakhet city take Route 9B south to Ban Lak 35 and continue on for another 3km before turning right. Continue onwards for 18km before turning left. The Stupa is 3km down this road.
Open daily from 08:00AM-06:00PM.
Located Aong Route No.13
   
That Nang Lao (Nang Lao Stupa)
This stupa was built during the reign of Nang Lao, the serving girl of the last king of Vientiane. Nang Lao was the governor of Muong Vang. The stupa area extends to 8 square km, the stupa is 13 m high and 12 meters wide at the base. Built of brick, it has been abandoned for more than 300 years. Villagers regard it as a magic stupa.
Located along Road No.9
   
Hortay Pidok (Ancient Buddhist Scripts Library)
This is an impressive old structure originally built in the 17th century. It is the most important repository of palm leaf books written in Burmese Pali, Khmer and ancient Lao alphabets in Laos. There are currently 4,000 books containing 361 different stories. The books are maintained in good condition by monks and novices, as well.....
                                                                                                                                                                  <<Read more.....>>
   
Heun Hin (Stone House)
Hean Hin literally means "Stone House" and is believed to have been one of the 121 rest houses constructed by King Jayavarman VII (1181-1218) along the roads which once connected every corner of the Khmer Empire. Therefore, it shares similar characteristics with Wat Phou in Champasak and Phimai Temple in Thailand. An.....
                                                                                                                                                                  <<Read more.....>>
   
Ban Sepon Kao (Old Sepon Village)
This name literally means “Old Sepon Village” and is located a few kilometres east of Sepon town. The village is located on the riverside and retains a sense of the past. The destroyed bank entrance is eloquent testimony of the past war.
Located Along Route No.9
   
The Savannakhet Dinosaur Museum
This is a houses of dinosaur fossils or big lizard bones’ as called in Lao. They were excavated from Ban Tang Vay (Tang Vay Village), in Xonbuly District. Three kinds of dinosaur bones have been discovered; pode, Iguanodon and Sauropode.
The museum open daily from 08:00AM-11:30AM and 01:30PM-04:30PM.
Located in Kaysone Phomvihanh Town
   
Savannakhet Provincial Museum
This is a typical administration building during the French colonial period. It has recently been renovated to be the New Provincial Museum. There are many interesting items such as archaeological selics, war selated itens iacluding big guus, dombs, etc, and historical photos.
Open: Monday-Friday, 08:30AM-11:30AM and 01:30PM-04:00PM. 
Located in Kaysone Phomvihanh Town
   
Memorial Persident Kaysone Phomvihanh
This is the house of former President Kaisone Phomvihanh who was born in Savannakhet in 1920. He served as the first Prime Minister of Lao PDR from 1975-1991, and then as the second President until his death in 1992. While the building is not open to the public, it can be viewed from the outside.
Located in Kaysone Phomvihanh Town
   
French Colonial Architecture
Legacies of the French colonial period can be found all over Laos, including great tasting baguettes and cheese, good wine, Catholicism and the mark of all colonial powers-architecture. The city of Savannakhet in Southern Laos is full of fine, if crumbling, examples of French colonial architecture. Most of these buildings have deteriorated over the years due to neglect, war and poverty but they still retain a sense of romance and history. The most popular and well known examples of French architecture in Savannakhet include St. Theresa’s Catholic Church and the numerous colonial shop houses.
Located in Kaysone Phomvihanh Town
   
Muangkao Phonesim (Phonesim Village and The Old Ruins)
According to legend, an old town was founded here in current Phonesim in 1577 during the reign of the King Fa Ngum who later united the Lane Xang Kingdom. Migrating south-eastwards from Northern Vietnam, Savannakhet’s ancestors settled here and named the town in Ban Luang Phonsim "Phonsim village" after the name of.....
                                                                                                                                                                  <<Read more.....>>
   
Lao-Vietnamese Monument
This War Memorial was built in 1990 to commemorate the Lao and Vietnamese soldiers who fought in the battle for the national democratic revolution of Laos. Situated in Ban Dong, close to the Phin city on the Route No.9, the war memorial is approximately 161km from Savannakhet City. However you can only see the memorial from outside of the fences.
It open daily from 08:00AM-05:00PM.
Located Along Route No.9
   
Lamson Battle Field and War Museum
The historic Ho Chi Minh Trail ran through Dong Village, on Route No.9, close to the Lao-Bao border checkpoint to Vietnam. Here remnants of American tanks and warplanes from the famous battle of “Lamson 719” (1971) can be seen. Bomb craters are also a common sight in Sepon alongside Route 9. At Dong village a war museum is being constructed. To get to Dong village head east from Sepon town on Route 9 and about 22km away on your right side.
Located Along Route No.9
   
| ATTAPEU | BOKEO | BOLIKHAMXAY | CHAMPASACK | HOUAPHANH | KHAMMOUANE | LUANG NAMTHA | LUANG PRABANG | OUDOMXAY | PHONGSALY |
|
SALAVANH | SAVANNAKHET | SAYABOULY | SEKONG | VIENTIANE | VIENTIANE CAPITAL | XIENG KHOUANG
|