CHAO FA NGUM STATUE
The statue of King Fa Ngum with a small army of 3 elephants will welcome you to Vientiane, Laos. The statue was erected in 2003 to commemorate King Fa Ngum and the establishment of the Kingdom of Lane Xang in the 14th century. Being one of Vientiane’s popular landmarks, it has been a place where Lao people gather and meet. In 1353, Chao Fa Ngum (King Fa Ngum) founded Lane Xang Hom Khao or also known as Kingdom of a Million Elephants and the White Parasol. According to the legend King Fa Ngum was the last son of Chao Fa Ngiew and was born with 33 teeth in 1316. For this reason or some other non specified reason, the baby prince was banished and rafted downstream the Mekong River to the Khmer Kingdom of Angkor where he grew up and married a Khmer princess. In 1350-1353, with the support of Khmer Kingdom of Angkor, Fa Ngum returned to Xieng Thong to assemble an army and unified small villages to establish the Lane Xang Kingdom. He reigned as King until 1372.