MUANGKAO PHONSIM (PHONSIM VILLAGE AND THE OLD RUINS)
According to legend, an old town was founded here in current Phonesim in 1577 during the reign of the King Fa Ngum who later united the Lane Xang Kingdom. Migrating south-eastwards from Northern Vietnam, Savannakhet’s ancestors settled here and named the town in Ban Luang Phonsim "Phonsim village" after the name of their leader Luang and his wife Sim. The name of the village has been shortened to Ban Phonsim. The ruins of the original settlement can still be seen atop a hill surrounded by bamboo forest. You can see the foundations of a pagoda and the old Phonsim town wall.
How to get there: From That Ing Hang, go east for about 3 kilometers to the village. The ruins are located about 2 kilometers from the village, and are best experienced through one of the Eco-Guides’ trekking tours which can also include an overnight home stay in the village.
Tourism Marketing Department, Misnistry Of information Culture and Tourism
Lane Xang Avenue, Hatsadi Village,Chanthabouly District, Vientiane Capital
All Rights Reserved. Copyright 2012. Tourism Marketing Department, Lao PDR
Designed and Developed by CYBERIA, Vientiane - Lao PDRR