Here are 10 best things to do in 4000 Islands (Si Phan Don) in Lao PDR:
1. Visit Khonephapheng waterfall: The largest waterfall in Southeast Asia by volume, with a width of 10,783 feet.
2. Go dolphin watching: Irrawaddy dolphins are a rare and endangered species that can be found in the Mekong River of 4000 Islands. You can take a boat tour to see them up close.
3. Visit Don Det Island: This tiny island is a backpacker’s paradise. You can rent a bike and explore the island’s beautiful scenery.
4. Walk on the sandbar of Don Khon Island: A beautiful and unique sandbar that appears only during the dry season, allowing you to walk to a nearby island.
5. Explore the ancient French railway on Don Khon Island: A historic railway that was built to bypass the Khonephapheng waterfall.
6. Kayaking through Si Phan Don Islands: Paddle through narrow channels and enjoy the stunning scenery of the Mekong River.
7. Relax in a hammock: You can find plenty of hammocks at the guesthouses on the islands, where you can relax, read a book, and enjoy the view.
8. Rent a motorbike to explore 4000 Islands: Rent a motorbike or scooter and explore the islands, visit some hidden waterfalls and relax by the riverside.
9. Try local Lao cuisine: The area is known for its river fish, sticky rice, and coconut-based curries, so be sure to try some of the local dishes at the riverside restaurants.
10. Take a sunset cruise: You can relax with a drink on a sunset cruise and enjoy the stunning scenery of the Mekong River at sunset.